Saturday, June 5, 2010

They Came in Ships

"Far away-- oh far away--
We seek a world o'er the ocean spray!
We seek a land across the sea,
Where bread is plenty and men are free,
The sails are set, the breezes swell--
England, our country, farewell! farewell!"


It's an amazing story of providence and the skill of English seamen that dozens of Atlantic ocean passages were made in little wooden ships bringing our Puritan ancestors to America almost without mishap in the 1630s.

Packet sailing ships departed port on a regular schedule. The typical packet sailed between American and British ports, and the ships themselves were designed for the North Atlantic, where storms and rough seas were common.

The first of the packet lines was the Black Ball Line, which began sailing between New York City and Liverpool in 1818. The line originally had four ships and advertised that one of its ships would leave New York on the first of each month. The regularity of the schedule was an innovation at the time. Within a few years several other companies followed the example of the Black Ball Line and the North Atlantic was crossed by ships that regularly battled the elements while remaining close to schedule.

Unlike the later and more glamorous clippers, Packets were not designed for speed. They carried cargo and passengers and, for several decades, were the most efficient way to cross the Atlantic. Sailing Packets were eventually replaced by steamships, and the phrase "steam packet" became common in the mid-1800s.

The following manifest for 15 April 1635 lists names of individuals ready to sail to New England aboard the Increase. In preparation for sailing, they were required to take an "oaths of allegiance and supremacie". It is not known when she actually arrived in Massachusetts Bay.

Other researchers have speculated that the Thomas Barrett listed among her passengers is our ancestor. However, the year of his birth (abt. 1619) makes this unlikely, causing many to believe this Thomas was of Concord. In any case, I am including it for future reference.

Theis ptus. Hereafter expressed are to be transported to New England, embarqued in the Increase, Robert Lea, Mr. having taken the oaths of allegiance and supremacie, as also being comformable to the government and discipline of the Church of England, whereof they brought testimony and cert. from ye Justices and ministers where there abodes have latlie been.

Ayres Symon 48, chirurgion
Ayres Dorothy 38, wife of Symon
Ayres Marie 15, child of Symon
Ayres Thomas 13, child of Symon
Ayres Symon 11, child of Symon
Ayres Rebecca 9, child of Symon
Ayres Christian 7, child of Symon
Ayres Anna 5, child of Symon
Ayres Benjamin 3, child of Symon
Ayres Sara 3 mos, child of Symon
Barret Thomas 16
Beardes Elizabeth 24
Bitton James 27
Buck Wilton 50, Plowrite
Buck Robert 18
Crosse Henry 20, carpenter
Dalton Philemon 45, lynen wevr
Dalton Hanna 35, wife of Philemon
Dalton Samuel 5 1/2, child of Philemon
Daniell Elizabeth 2, listed with Morse family
Davies Jo 29, joiner
Fleming Abram 40, husbandman
Fokar Jo 21, husbandman
Gladwell Aymes 16
Hackwell Jo. 18
Houghton William 22, butcher
Ireland Samuell 32, carpenter
Ireland Marie 30, wife of Samuel
Ireland Martha 1 1/2, child of Samuel
Kilborne Thomas 55, husbandman
Kilborne Frances 50, wife of Thomas
Kilborne Margaret 23, child of Thomas
Kilborne Lydia 22, child of Thomas
Kilborne Marie 16, child of Thomas
Kilborne Francis 12, child of Thomas
Kilborne Jo. 10, child of Thomas
Marvynn Matthew 35, husbandman
Marvyn Elizabeth 31, wife of Matthew
Marvyn Elizabeth 31, sister or duplicate
Marvyn Matthew 8, child of Matthew
Marvyn Marie 6, child of Matthew
Marvyn Sara 3, child of Matthew
Marvyn Hanna 1/2 , child of Matthew
More Issac 13, listed below Marvyns
Morse Samuel 50, husbandman
Morse Elizabeth 48, wife of Samuel
Morse Joseph 20, child of Samuel
Nunn Richard 19
Owdie John 14
Parish Thomas 22, clothier
Payne William 22, husbandman
Payne Anna 40, wife of William
Payne Susan 11
Payne William 10, child of William
Payne Anna 5, child of William
Payne Jo. 3, child of William
Payne Daniel 8 wks, child of William
Perce Phobe 18
Potter William 25
Rawlin Jane 30
Roger James 20
Stone Symon, 50, husbandman
Stone Joan 38, wife of Symon
Stone Francis 16, child of Symon
Stone Anna 11, child of Symon
Stone Symon 4, child of Symon
Stone Marie 3, child of Symon
Stone Jo. 1 mo, child of Symon
Streaton Eliabeth 19, Stone servant
Toller Mary 16, Stone servant
Upson Stephen 23, lawyer/sawyer
Warner Jo, 20, listed below Marvyns
White William 14 listed below Daltons
Wood Elizabeth 38
Wood Nathaniel 12, Stone servant
Worden Issac 18, Stone servant
Wyndell/Myndell Jo 16

A record found in the Genealogy of some of the descendants of Thomas Barrett, sen., of Braintree, Mass., 1635 is more likely the record of our ancestors immigration.

Thomas Barrett and his wife Margaret, emigrated from England to America sometime between 1635 and 1640, (the exact date is not known, nor can it now be definitely ascertained) and settled in Braintree, Massachusetts, where he and his sons with their families continued to reside until 1663.

April 10th, 1663, he and his son Thomas Barrett, Jr., (who had removed to Chelmsford, Mass., some time prior to March 1660), purchased a house and fifty-two acres of land in Chelmsford, Mass., on that was then and is now known as "Robbins Hill," and settled there (Chelmsford) immediately afterwards (April 10th, 1663).

Friday, June 4, 2010

Early Settlers of Braintree, MA

A History of Old Braintree and Quincy, With a Sketch of Randolph and Holbrook
by William S. Pattee, MD (1878)

Early Settlement and Incorporation. p. 16

Oct. 7, 1645. In answer to a petition of several inhabitants of the town of Braintree, the the approbation of this Court, to go and plant a town in the place where Mr. Gorton did live, it was granted, so as they take not up above 1000 acres and that much examination & serious consideration of yo'r writings w'th yo'r answer about them, wee do charge you to bee a blasphemos eneymy of the true religion of o'r Lord Jesus Christ & his holy ordinances, and also of all Civill authority among the people of God, & perticularly in this irusdiction. -- Mass. Rec. II., p. 51.

1645. This year twenty Families, (most of them of the church of Braintree), petitioned the Court for liberty to begin a plantation where Gorton and his company had erected two or more houses at Shawamet, some part of Punhom's land, but it was challenged by Mr. Brown of Plymouth as belonging to their jurisdiction. This he did without any order from their Court of Council, (as they declared afterwards, but out of some privite end of his own). It might have been of some advantage to the interest of the English on the frontiers of the Narrhagansit Country, but ofttimes regard to particular profit proved prejudicial to general good. For if there had been a plantation erected there by those of Braintree it might have been as a bulwark against the corruption in faith and manners prevailing in that part of New England about Providence, but it is to be feared that those parts of the country, like the miry places and marshes spoken of in Ezek. 47:11, are not as yet to be healed, but to be given to salt. -- Mass. Hist. Col., Second Series, Vol. 6, p. 414

These are the names of the above petitioners of the Church of Braintree: Stephen Kingsly, John Garing, Francis Eliot, Thom: Flatman, Henry Adams, Thomas Adams, John Sheopard, Henry Adams Junion, Samu: Adams, John Adams, Christopher Adams, William Vaysey, Richard Brackett, Christopher Webb, Edward Sparlden, Thomas Meakins, Nico: Woods, Robert Quelues, Thom: Barret, Daniell Shode, William Ellice, Deodatus Curtis, Thomas Waterman, Nathaniell Hermann, Humfry Grigs, John Hastings, George Aldridge, John Wheateley, Thomas Wilmet, Menry Madsley, John French, Arthus Waring. They being about twenty of the thirty-two subscribers free men. -- Mass. Rec. II, p. 128.

Miscellaneous, p. 557

We shall here endeavor as far as we are able to give the names of the first settlers of the old town of Braintree, and the date their names appear on the town, parish and other records, that are now extinct. This enumeration is given for a few years over a century after the incorporation of the town. The date to some of the names we are unable to give for the reason that they are illegible. There are persons now residing in the territory that once comprised the town of Braintree, that bear the same name of those that are extinct, but descended from other families. It appears that some names were spelled in a number of different ways that referred to the same person.

Bloggers note: Among the list of settlers is Thomas Barrett, 1651.

The Barrett-Byam Homestead

Chelmsford Historical Society

In 1663, Thomas Barrett and his son, Thomas came to Chelmsford from Braintree, Massachusetts, buying a house and fifty-two acres of land from James Parker, an earlier arrival in this area.

The land was good. Situated of the southern slope of Robin's Hill, it provided farmland, woodland and pasture. According to Waters "History of Chelmsford", this house at one time was turned around to face south and was originally a "saltbox" with long sloping roof.

Built around a great central chimney, the house boasts of a fireplace in every room. The ceilings are low for the purpose of conserving heat. The original fireplace structure was probably taken down to the top of its foundation around 1800 to "modernize" the heating system by building Rumford fireplaces in each room. Count Rumford, a Tory who had fled to England, developed this efficient style and everyone was "Rumfordizing" their fireplaces during this period! The fireplace in the Keeping Room was the place where the cooking was done. It may be seen today with its iron crane supporting heavy iron kettles hung on "S" hooks over the fire, iron "spiders" and boiling racks, heavy tin roasting oven, reflector oven, and flip toaster. The Historical Society's collection of earthenware, woodenware and tin is also displayed in this room. To the left of the fireplace, is the "beehive oven" where much of the baking was done. It would originally have been located inside a larger walk-in fireplace and far more dangerous for women in their long skirts to use.

In the early days of the old house, there was a "borning room" opening off one end of the Keeping Room where the continuous heat from the big fireplace kept the room fairly comfortable in times of illness or the birth of babies. This room was opened up and made a part of the Keeping Room by the last owners of the property.

The house was substantially put together with beams fastened securely by wooden pegs or trunnels (tree nails). Gunstocks posts are still visible. Evidence of the long sloping room of the "saltbox" is seen in the attic where plaster marks show against the chimney.

Click here for a tour of the old homestead http://www.chelmhist.org/tour.htm.

Forefathers Burying Ground

Forefathers Burying Ground is one of New England's oldest colonial cemeteries and the final resting place of our ancestor, Thomas Barrett and other members of his family.

It's located in Chelmsford center, behind the First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church and was originally known as the Church of Christ in Chelmsford. It contains many early stones by the Lamson, Park and Wooster stonecarvers. Work by other carvers includes Dwight, Ball, Colburn, Day, Nichols.

It was probably some years after the settlement of the town before there was any established burial place. The first grave is said to have been upon the land of Thomas Henchman, later owned by Mr. E. H. Warren. A few uninscribed stones of rough surface appear to mark the earliest graves in Forefathers' Burying Ground, but the year 1690 is the date of the first stone bearing an inscription.
  • In 1702, a "rough fence”, and in 1708, a "board fence" was placed around the burying ground. This was replaced in 1717 by a stone wall; and in 1790 one of more permanent character was built; this was repaired in 1793.
  • May 25, 1778, the Town appointed a committee to consider making some additions to the burying ground.
  • In 1813, and the three succeeding years, the tombs were built at the top of the rising ground.
  • In 1817, a piece of land owned by Moses Hale, on the southerly side of the burying ground, was added to it. This new part is said, in the records, to include the graves of Rev. John Fiske and two of his family. Hale was to build a good substantial stone wall four and one-half feet above the surface of the earth. He had a barn, between which and the burying ground he reserved a passageway. Hale received $27.
  • In 1830, the burying ground was "repaired," and in 1838, an addition was made on the west side, a parcel of land being purchased of David Dickinson for $100.
  • In 1839, the stone steps were built on the slope near the centre of the old part of the burying ground. The upper flight of steps was built about 1853, when the upper row of tombs was built.
  • In 1871, a receiving tomb was built in this burying ground. A triangular strip of land next to Littleton street was annexed at this time.
In accordance with ancient custom, the bodies in the older part of the cemetery are buried with their faces toward the east, as though looking for the promised coming of Christ and the resurrection of the dead.

Thomas Barrett [Generation 8], son of Thomas Barrett & Margaret Spaulding, was born abt. 1630 and died 8 Dec 1702. He was married to Frances Woolderson.

More photos online at http://www.chelmhist.org/forefathers.htm.








Thomas Barrett [right], son of Moses Barrett [Generation 7] & Hannah/Anna Smith, was born 9 Mar 1689 and died 9 Jul 1761. He was married to Rathel Burge. Hanna Barrett [left], daughter of Thomas & Rathel, was born 10 Apr 1730 and died 17 Mar 1759.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Witch City"

The Town of Salem, MA has been famous as "Witch City" since 1692. While the actual witch trials, incarcerations and executions took place in Salem, the witchcraft hysteria actually began in the nearby town that now comprises the towns of Danvers and what is now Peabody.

The case of a woman named Martha (Barrett) Sparks from Chelmsford, may have more significance than has been realized: She was accused of witchcraft in 1691 and sent to a Boston prison by Thomas Danforth on 28 October 1691. She remained there until 6 December 1692, two days after a recognizance was granted. This indicates that before the first legal actions leading to the Salem witch trials occurred, Martha was in prison on witchcraft charges and remained there until after the last executions … although she was never brought to trial.

Martha was the daughter of Thomas and Frances (Woolderson) Barrett [Generation 8] and granddaughter of Thomas and Margaret (Huntington) Barrett. She was born in Braintree, MA on 17 September 1656. Prior to March 1660, her family moved to Chelmsford where she married Henry Sparks on 10 July 1676.

It was while Henry was fighting in the eastern parts of the colony that Martha was put in a Boston jail on suspicion of witchcraft. The History of Chelmsford provides an account of John Arnold, the Boston jailer, who not only played host to Martha Sparks for 58 weeks, but had as his guests the more celebrated ladies from Salem, including Sarah Good, Sarah Osbourn and Rebecca Nurse.

On 1 November 1692, Martha's father petitioned the Governor and Council for her release. The following petition is taken from the Massachusetts Archives, Vol. 135 No. 64:

To his Excy. Sr. William Phips, Knt. Capn Genll. and Governor in Cheife of their Majties Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England and to the Honed. Council thereof

The Humble Petition of Thomas Barrett of Chelmsford in New England, in behalf of his Daughter Martha Sparkes, wife of Henry Sparkes who is now a Souldier in their Majties Service att the Easterne Parts, and soe hath beene for a Considersble Time, Humbly Showeth That yor Petitionrs Daughter hath Layne in Prison in Boston for the Space of Twelve months and Five days, being Committed by Thomas Danforth, Esq the Late Depty Governor, upon suspicion of Witchcraft, Since which noe Evidence hath appeared against her in any Such matter, neither hath any Given bond to prosecute her nor doth any one att this day accuse her of any such thing as yor Petitionr knows of. That Yor Petitionr hath ever since Kept two of her children - - the one of 5 years ye other of 2 years old, wch hath been a considerable Trouble and charge to him in his poore & meane Condition; besides yor Petitionr hath a Lame antient & sick wife, who for these 5 yeares & upwards past hath beene soe afflicted: as that shee is altogether rendred uncapable of affording her self any help, wch much augments his Trouble. Yor Poore Petitionr Earnestly and humbly Intreates Yor E'cy & honrs. to take his distressed condition into yor consideracon, And that you will please to order ye releasemt. of his Daughtr. from her confinement. Whereby shee may returne home to her poore children to look after them, haveing nothing to pay the charge of her Confinemt.

Thomas Barrett appeared before the Court on 6 December 1692, and guaranteed a bond for Martha's appearance before the next session of the Court. Two days later she was set free. According to the History of Chelmsford, the records of the Middlesex County Court for this period were burned in a Concord fire and no papers relating to the case are to be found in the Court files of 1692 and 1693.

Recognizance for Martha Sparks

Memorand’m
That on the Sixth day of Decemb’r 1692 in the fowerth year of the Reign of our Soveraign Lord & Lady William & Mary by the grace of God of England &c Kind & Queen Defenders of the faith: Personally Appeared before us James Russell & Samuell Heyman Esqs. Of their Majesties Councill & Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, & Justices of peace within the Same: Thomas Barrat of Chelmsford in the County of Middlesex Mason & acknowledged himself to be indebted unto our S’d Lord & Lady the Kind & Queen and the Survivor of them their Heires & successors in the Some of Two hundred pounds to be leavied on his Goods or Chattels Lands or Tennements for the use of our said Lord & Lady the Kind & Queen or Surviver of Them if Default be made in the performance of the Condition underwritten, viz.

Recognit Die Pdiet [Cbar Joram [Pbar] *Ja: Russell, Esq’rs
*Samuel Hayman
(Reverse)
Thomas Barrete Recogn.
[pbar] Martha Sparks appear.
At Middlesex Court.
Suffolk Records Case No. 2696 Page 21

Henry Sparks died on 16 July 1694 in Chelmsford. Martha died there on 28 February 1697 at 40 years of age.

SOURCES:
Mass. Archives Collection, Vol 135 No. 64
Records of the Salem Witch Hunt, No. 703, Petition of Thomas Barrett for Martha Sparks
The Salem Witchcraft Papers, Vol. 3, P. 740, Petition of Thomas Barrett

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Moses Barrett Captured By Indians

Moses Barrett was the oldest son of Moses Barrett and Hanna/Anna Smith. He was born 27 Oct 1685 in Chelmsford, MA and has been described by a descendant as being "broad, not tall, and black-eyed".

In 1707 he married Sarah, whose parentage is yet unknown. She may have been born in Woburn, Mass. for it's been said that Moses used to ride his great black horse from Woodstock to Woburn, with Sarah behind him, possibly to visit her parents. Sarah died between Aug 1818 (when twins Benoni and Moses were born) and June 1820 when records show Moses remarried to Abigail Trott.

Moses and Sarah moved their family to Woodstock, which then belonged to Massachusetts, abt. 1717. He sold all his lands in Chelmsford to R. Cockin, son of the famous Major Cockin, and left his brother Thomas on the Barrett family homestead.

He selected for his land in Woodstock the choice meadows and intervals surrounding the "Little Pond" on the Myannekisset River or Mill Brook in the southeast corner of town. It was laid out to him in four parcels bounded by town lines east and south and two roads on the north and west (vis., they read east and west crossing the stream between the Great and Little Ponds, and north and south skirting the Little Pond). This land has been enlarged and subdivided, but a part of it in the corner of town still belonged, in 1885, to Otis Barrett. Its quality has been spoiled by the mill dam below, the meadow having at first been its most valuable feature.

Moses & the Indians
As recalled by Newton Barrett, Elkhorn, Wis. 1886

A tradition given during a hayfield lunch in Woodstock, 1826, by Uncle Inman Barrett to “us boys” but of which I have never heard repetition or confirmation, says that Moses Barrett at the age of 19 (July, 1705) while loading grain with one Butterfield, was captured by Indians. Moses was taken through the wilderness to Montreal and given over to the French governor.

On the route he was fastened down by poles or young trees bent across him and one night, lying in a hollow, was flooded and nearly drowned by a rain. When his captors delivered him over to the French, he “ran the gauntlet” down a file of Indians. A straggler, coming up at the end of the fun, threw a bat and hit again his broken nose. The enraged Moses seized his assailant and to the great diversion of the Indians gave him a furious drubbing. It may be part of the story that at his capture he slew one of the attacking party. I am not certain now.

While at Montreal the French commandant made a waiter of the youth. One day he brought for the Frenchman’s dinner a huge fish, and then or ordinarily he applied to Moses the epithet “de pauvore Mois”. (my uncle pronounced it “Le povery mawia”). Moses was ere long redeemed, and before war closed (it seems Queen Anne’s War was fought from 1702-1712.)

The Indians were in league with the French, harassed the New England border and were troublesome in Chelmsford. Moses home was in Chelmsford. There were Butterfields there. The captain agrees with the history of the times, and the other events of Moses life. The name of Butterfield and the “Le Pauvore Mois” could hardly be counterfeited and makes the tradition quite certain. Yet there is no historic scrap to make it unquestionable. The History of Chelmsford, by Rev. Wilkes Allen, should notice it but it is a very meager history and says of the Indians only that they were sometimes troublesome. Oct. 6, 1899, see Niles Indian Wars in Mass. Hist.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The American Revolution

Oliver Barrett was born in Chelmsford, MA 9 Jan 1726. He was son of Joseph Barrett and Maria Taylor and great grandson of Joseph Barrett and Martha Goole (now Gould). He married Anna Fiske, daughter of Ebenezer Fiske and Bethiah Muzzy, 24 Oct 1754 in Lexington, MA. She was born 29 Jul 1735 in Lexington, MA.

A cooper by trade, Oliver was owner of a homestead in Chelmsford, MA as evidenced in a deed dated 20 March 1748/49 where his great great grandparents, Nathaniel and Martha Barrett, sold and conveyed to him five acres of meadow land south of Robbins Hill. He and Anna resided there until around 1 Oct 1767 when they moved to Bellerica, MA. In autumn 1770 they relocated to Westford where they resided until his death.

He was called out as a “minute man” with other citizens of Westford and adjoining towns, on the occasion of the “Lexington Alarm”, and served one day as a member of the company commanded by Capt. Timothy Underwood of Westwood, in the regiment commanded by Col. William Preston.

On 2 Jan 1777 Oliver enlisted in the Revolutionary Army as a volunteer from Westford and was mustered into service as a member of the company commanded by Capt. Philip Thomas, Continental Regiment, 10th Massachusetts commanded by Col. Thomas Marshall. He was killed in battle on 7 Oct 1777 in the second battle of Stillwater. This battle resulted in the surrender of British Gen. Burgoyne on 17 Oct 1777.

Military Record of Oliver Barrett
Westford. Private, Capt. Wyman's co., Col. Prescott's regt.; company return dated Cambridge, Oct. 3, 1775; also, return of men enlisted into Continental Army from Capt. Wright's co., Col. Jonathan Reed's (6th Middlesex Co.) regt., dated Littleton, Sept. 17, 1777; joined Capt. Thomas's co., Col. Marshall's regt.; enlistment, 3 years; reported mustered by Nathaniel Barber.

Westford, MA at the Concord Battle - Company Rosters
History of Westford by Rev. Edwin R. Hodgeman 1883

p.104 The Concord Fight, April 19, 1775
Authorities vary somewhat in stating the facts relating to this fight,some claiming that in Lexington the first resistance was made on the morning of that memorable day, while others affirm that at Concord Bridge the earliest armed resistance was offered to the soldiers of George the Third.

We are now to consider the service rendered by the men of Westford in that struggle. This has never been fully and accurately stated in any account of it. Prominent among the actors then and there was John Robinson of Westford, a Lieutenant Colonel in a regiment of minutemen of which William Prescott of Pepperell was Colonel.

Rev. Dr. Ripley in his account says: "A company from Westford had just entered the bounds of Concord when the fight took place. But individuals from that town were present and engaged in the battle, among whom was the brave Col. Robinson." He also says further on, in his narrative: "The situation of Major Buttrick, as it was more dangerous and and important, has gained him distinguished celebrity and honor. But this ought never to operate as an eclipse upon any other officer on that occasion. There is satisfactory evidence that on the march to meet the enemy, Major Buttrick requested Col. Robinson to act as his superior, he being an older man and of higher rank in another regiment but he modestly declined, and consented to march at the right hand and be considered a volunteer. The late Col. John Buttrick, then a fifer, repeatedly affirmed that he was present and heard the conversation between his father and Col. Robinson. The Americans commenced their march in double file...in a minute or two, the Americans being in quick motion and within ten or fifteen rods of the bridge, a single gun was fired by a British soldier, which marked its way, passing under Col. Robinson's arm and slightly wounding the side of Luther Blanchard, a fifer, in the Acton Company. This account was published in 1827 and being prepared by one on the ground and only fifty years after the fight, when some who saw it were still living, is, without doubt, the best narrative we shall ever have of that conflict. Others who have attempted to describe it, have done little more than repeat the words of Rev. Dr. Ripley. Some slight variations occur, however. Thus George Bancroft affirms that Col. Barrett gave the order to advance, whereupon, "Capt. Davis, drawing his sword, cried, "March!" His company, being on the right, led the way, he himself at their head, and by his side, Maj. John Buttrick of Concord with John Robinson of Westford, Lieutenant-Colonel in Prescott's Regiment."

Frederic Hudson in his account (Harper's Magazine May, 1875) says: "Among those early on the field from the neighboring towns, was Lieut. Colonel John Robinson of Westford....he was accompanied by the Rev. Joseph Thaxter, Capt. Joshua Parker and private Oliver Hildreth. Mr. Thaxter had been preaching at Westford as a candidate. On the first tidings of danger he hastened to Concord, armed with a brace of pistols and was in front to receive the first fire of the enemy; and he and William Emerson the pastor of Concord were the first chaplains of the Revolution.

Major Buttrick took command of the Americans in the forward movement. He was accompanied by Lieut. Col. Robinson. In their left hand they held their fusees trailed and marched with Capt. Davis and his men."

From all these statements it is clear that Davis, Buttrick and Robinson were marching side-by-side in this first show of armed resistance to British oppression - a noble triad of choice spirits who dared to do and die. Heroically did they lead on the eager troops who sought, not revenge, but liberty; who, as George W. Curtis pithily said, in his oration at Concord, April 19, 1875, "loaded their muskets, not with a ball, only, but with a principle and brought down, not a man, but a system."

The three companies whose muster rolls are here given, copied from the originals in the State House, were no doubt in the fight on that day. Rev. G. Reynolds, in a recent address, admits that two companies of minutemen from Westford were present, and the heading of the rolls shows that they marched from home that morning.

p.106
Capt. Underwood's Company -- A List of the Travel and Service of Capt. Timothy Underwood of Westford, in the County of Middlesex, with the men under him belonging to Colonel William Prescott's Regiment of Minutemen, who, in consequence of an Alarm made on the 19th of April 1775, marched from home for the defence of this Colony against the Ministrial troops:

OFFICERS
Timothy Underwood, Captain
Thomas Cummings, First Lieut.
Phillip Robbins, Second Lieut.
Joshua Parker, Sergeant
James Fletcher, Sergeant
Timothy Spalding, Sergeant
John Wright, Sergeant
James Proctor, Corporal
William Fletcher, Corporal
Amaziah Hildreth, Corporal
Thomas Guy, Fifer
Isaac Parker, Drummer

PRIVATES
Oliver Barrett
Jonas Blodgett
Josiah Brooks
Silas Chandler
William Chandler
Ebenezer Corey
Samuel Crafts
Ephraim Cummings
Daniel Dudley
Joseph Dutton
William Dutton
Joshua Fassett
Davis Fisk
David Fletcher
Jememiah Fletcher
John Fletcher
Josiah Fletcher
Levi Fletcher
Ebenezer Foster
John Hildreth
Silas Howard
Jonas Kemp
Abner Kent
Samuel Keyes
Stephen Meeds
John Nutting
John Parker
Moses Parker
James Perry
Silas Proctor
Benjamin Read
Leonard Read
Oliver Read
Abijah Richardson
Jacob Robbins
Jeremiah Robbins
Philip Spaldon
Levi Temple
Amos Tidd
Joseph Underwood
Daniel Whitney
Ebenezer Wright

p.107
Middlesex ss. Dec 16, 1775. The within named Timothy Underwood made solemn oath to the truth of thw within Muster Roll. Before me, Moses Gill, Justice of the Peace through the Province."

Capt. Bate's Company -- A List of the Travel and service of Capt. Oliver Bates of Westford in the County of Middlesex and the men under him, belonging to the Regiment of Militia whereof James Prescott, Esq., is Colonel who, in consequence of the Alarm made on the 19th of April 1775, marched from home for the Defence of this Colony against the Ministerial Troops.

OFFICERS
Oliver Bates, Captain
David Goodhue, First Lieut.
John Abbott, Second Lieut.
Thomas Rogers, Sergeant
Solomon Spalding, Sergeant
Joseph Prescott, Corporal
Daniel Goodhue, Corporal
John Prescott, Corporal
Timothy Cummings, Drummer

PRIVATES
Joseph Wright, Jr.
John Barrett
David Bixby
Ephraim Bixby
Jacob Bixby
Levi Bixby
Abel Boynton
Nathaniel Cummings
David Dutton
Benjamin Estabrook
Amos Fletcher, Jr
Joseph Fletcher
Josiah Fletcher
Jonathan Hadley
John Hadley, Jr
Ephraim Heald
David Holding
William Nichols
Nathaniel Prentice
Jonas Prescott, 3d
Timothy Prescott
Abel Read
Silas Spalding
Ephraim Wright
Pelatiah Wright

COLONY OF MASSACHUSETTS BAY

Dec 27, 1775. Oliver Bates, the Captain, being dead, David Goodhue, his Lieutenant, made solemn oath that this Roll by him subscribed, is just and true in all its parts. Before me, Moses Gill, Justice of the Peace through the Province.

Capt. Minot's Company -- A List of the Travel and Service of Capt. Jonathan Minot, of Westford in the County of Middlesex and the men under him belonging to the Regiment of the Militia whereof James Prescott, Esq., is Colonel, who in consequence of the Alarm made on the 19th of April, 1775, marched from home for the defence of this Colony against the Ministerial Troops.

OFFICERS
Hosea Hildreth, Corporal
Jonathan Minot, Captain
Zaccheus Wright, First Lieut.
Leonard Proctor, Second Lieut.
Aaron Parker, Jr., Sergeant
Gershom Fletcher, Sergeant
William Hildreth, Sergeant
Samuel White, Sergeant
Nehemiah Green, Corporal
Amos Wright, Corporal
Jonathan Minot, Jr., Drummer

PRIVATES
Francis Smith
Caesar Bason
Aaron Blood
Peter Brown
Job Dodge
Elijah Hildreth
Nathaniel Holmes
Francis Kidder
Thomas Kidder
Rogers King
Francis Leighton
Abijah Mason
Thomas Meads
Benjamin Osgood
David Parker
Ebenezer Parker
Amos Parlin
Charles Proctor
John Pushee
Joshua Read
John Robbins
John Robbins, Jr.
Peter Robbins
Zechariah Robbins
James Wright

NOTE: A good overview of the Revolutionary War (and other historical topics) can be found at http://www.ushistory.org/us/11.asp.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Barrett Genealogy

~ Generation 13 ~
 
John Barrett, devisee of Geoffrey Baret, was born abt. 1461 in Blythburgh, Suffolk, England and died there Mar 1513. He married Johan/Joan Baret, daughter of Geoffrey Baret and WHO, abt. 1487 in Blythburgh, Suffolk England. She was born abt. 1467 in Blythburgh and died there 14 Jan 1526. Their children:
  • William Barrett [see Generation 12]
  • John Barrett died bef. 1513. He married Alice WHO.
  • Female Barrett who married Jeffrey Kemp in Woodridge, Suffolk, England.
~ Generation 12 ~
 
William Barrett, son of John Barrett and Joan Baret, was born bef. 1487 in Blythburgh, Suffolk, England and died 8 Nov 1547 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. He married Margaret Love, daughter of Richard Love and Agnes WHO, abt. 1510 in Westhall. She was born abt. 1489 in Westhall and died there abt. 1565. Their children:
  • William Barrett [see Generation 11]
  • Jane Barrett was born abt. 1520 in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died abt. Feb 1584 in WHERE. She married: (1) Philip Southells; (2) Robert Skete; and (3) James Jetter.
  • Agnes Barrett was born abt. 1524 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married Robert Canon.
  • Christopher Barrett was born 13 Apr 1526 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. He married Prudence Rouse.
  • Alice Barrett was born abt. 1528 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married James Barne.
  • Awdrye Barrett was born abt. 1530 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married: (1) William Barker who died abt. 1557; and (2) Robert Bardwell who died abt. 1593.
  • Richard Barrett was born abt. 1532 in Westhall, Suffolk, England.
  • Frances Barrett was born abt. 1534 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married Nicholas Hornase.
  • Dorothe Barrett was born abt. 1536 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married Robert Barker.
  • Elizabeth Barrett was born abt. 1538 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. She married Robert Manning.
~ Generation 11 ~

William Barrett, son of William Barrett and Margaret Love, was born abt. 1513 in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died 11 Mar 1565 in WHERE. He married: (1) Jane Claxton, daughter of William Claxton and WHO; and (2) Margaret (Petyshall) Wingfield, daughter of WHO and WHO/widow of Rev. William Wingfield who died at sea 11 Mar 1565 during their voyage to America], abt. 1591 in WHERE. She was born abt. 1515 in England and died WHEN in WHERE. Their children:
  • Owen Barrett was baptised in 1561 in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died WHEN in WHERE. He married Christian Randall. Children: one son and two daughters.
  • Christopher Barrett [see Generation 10]
  • Prudence Barrett was born WHEN in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died WHEN in WHERE. She married WHO Platman.
 ~ Generation 10 ~
 
Christopher Barrett, son of William Barrett and Margaret Petyshall Wingfielde, was born 13 Apr 1562 in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died 22 Aug 1649 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. He married Elizabeth Clarke, daughter of Allen Clarke and Margaret WHO, 16 Sep 1588 in England. She was born abt. 1564 in Blythburgh, Suffolk, England and died abt. 1609 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Their children:
  • Christopher Barrett was born abt. 1589 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. Died unmarried.
  • William Barrett was born abt. 1591 in Westhall, Suffolk, England. He married Martha Morris. Children: William Barrett and Peter Barrett.
  • Thomas Barrett [see Generation 9]
  • Anne Barrett was born 29 Jul 1593 in Westhall, Suffolk, England
  • Margaret Barrett was born 29 Sep 1595 in Westhall, Suffolk, England and died 25 Mar 1661 in Windsor, CT. She married: (1) Simon Huntington, son of George Huntington and Anne Fenwick, 11 May 1623 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. He was born 7 Aug 1593 in WHERE and died 1633 at sea of smallpox; and (2) Thomas Stoughton. Children of Margaret and Simon: Christopher Huntington, Thomas Huntington, Ann Huntington, Simon Huntington and Henry Huntington.
  • Peter Barrett was born abt. 1597 in Westhall, Suffolk, England.
  • Elizabetha Barrett was born 26 Feb 1597 in Westhall, Suffolk, England.
  • Robert Barrett was born 16 May 1602 in Westhall, Suffolk, England.
After his mother's third marriage, Christopher Barrett was taken by her to Norwich and, in 1574, was bound an apprentice for 12 years by his stepfather, Mr. Suckling. At the expiration of his term he located to Norwich as a grocer. He became the sheriff in 1615, the mayor of the city in 1634 and its deputy mayor in 1647.

Margaret Barrett Huntington was daughter of Christopher Barrett. She was admitted to Roxbury church as member #83: "Margret Huntington widdow; she came in the year 1633. Her husband died by the way of small pox; she brought children with her" [RChR79]. She married (2) shortly after December 1634 Thomas Stoughton of Dorchester (and later Windsor) [NEHGR 14:104].

In 1649 her brother Peter Barrett wrote to her son Christopher regarding a legacy due to "yourself [Christopher], Symon, Thomas and Ann" from their grandfather. In 1671 another of her brothers, Thomas Barrett, spoke of his sister "Margaret who married to one Symond Huntington who carried her to New England & had several children by her; but we can give no account of her or them, yet think that she & several of her children are living there" [Hale, House 648, citing Joseph James Muskett, Suffolk Manorial Families, 3 vols. (Exeter 1900-1914), 2:153-60]. (This information and much more, including the known Barrett pedigree and a dismissal of the proposed Huntington English pedigree, were published by Jacobus in 1952, the best account available of the immigrant family, lacking only the Norwich parish register entries [Hale, House 647-51].)

In December 1634 James Cudworth wrote to his stepfather Dr. John Stoughton to report that "my uncles [Thomas and Israel Stoughton] ... are both in good health, and my uncle Thomas is to be married shortly, to a widow that has good means and has five children" [NEHGR 14:104].

Was there a fifth child who made the voyage in 1633, or was Cudworth somehow counting the deceased Henry, or was he simply wrong about the number of children the widow would bring with her at marriage? The latter seems the most likely solution, since, barring multiple births, there hardly seems room for another child born between 1623 and 1633, unless perhaps Margaret was pregnant in 1633 and bore a child after arrival in New England. The chronology is already squeezed, since Christopher must be the eldest child, and placing two children in the five year gap between Christopher and Simon does not allow the usual two year span between surviving children. Whatever the solution, we know from the 1649 letter of Margaret's brother that only four children were alive in that year.

~ Generation 9 ~


Thomas Barrett, son of Christopher Barrett and Elizabeth Clarke, was born abt. 1602 in Westfall, Suffolk, England and died 6 Oct 1668 in Chelmsford, MA. He married Margaret Spaulding Ward daughter of WHO and WHO, abt. 1624 in England. She was born abt. 1606 in England and died 8 Jul 1681 in Chelmsford, MA. Their children:
  • Lieut. John Barrett was born abt. 1625 in Norwich, Norwalk, England and died 19 May 1681 in Chelmsford, MA. He married Sarah WHO, daughter of WHO and WHO, abt. 1654 in Braintree, MA. Children: Benjamin Barrett, Jonathan Barrett, John Barrett, Lydia (Lideah) Barrett, Samuel Barrett, Mary Barrett, Margaret Barrett, Joseph Barrett and Sarah Barrett.
  • Thomas Barrett [see Generation 8]
  • Mary Elizabeth Barrett was born abt. 1632 in England and died WHEN in WHERE. She married Shadrach Thayer, son of WHO and WHO, abt. 1654 in WHERE. Children: Rachell Thayer and Triall Thayer.
  • Margaret Barrett was born 10 Nov 1637 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, MA and died WHEN in WHERE. She married Joseph Parker.
  • Joseph Barrett was born abt. 1639 in Braintree, Norfolk, MA and died 17 Dec 1711 in Chelmsford, MA. He married Martha Goole (later Gould), daughter of Francis Goole and Rose WHO, 17 Jul 1672 in Chelmsford, MA. She was born 15 Oct 1654 in Braintree, Norfolk, MA and died 30 Dec 1729 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, MA. Children: Rebekah Barrett, Sarah Barrett, Martha Barrett, Hanna Barrett, Margaret Barrett, Mirion Barrett, Josiah Barrett and Joseph Barrett. [See also The American Revolution.]
On 10 Apr 1663, Thomas Barrett and his son Thomas Jr. purchased a house and 52 acres of land in Chelmsford, MA on what was then and is now known as "Robin's Hill" and settled there immediately afterwards.

The meadows upon Great Brook early attracted settlements in the southerly quarter of town, in what is now Carlisle. The first found there were: (Lieut.) John Barrett, George Robbins, Thomas Corey and Ambrose Swallow. A highway was laid out for their accommodation "to mill and meetinghouse" in 1681.

~ Generation 8 ~
 
Thomas Barrett, son of Thomas Barrett and Margaret Spaulding, was born abt. 1630 in Norwich, Norfolk, England and died 8 Dec 1702 in Chelmsford, MA. He married: (1) Frances Woolderson, daughter of WHO and WHO, 15 Sep 1655 in Braintree, MA. She was born abt. 1639 in Braintree, MA and died 27 May 1694 in Chelmsford, MA; and (2) Mary Dike, daughter of WHO and WHO, 22 Jan 1694/1695 in WHERE. She was born WHEN in WHERE and died WHEN in WHERE. Children of Thomas and Frances:
 
 
 
  • Martha Barrett was born 17 Sep 1656 in Braintree, MA and died abt. 28 Feb 1696 in Chelmsford, MA. [See “Witch City”.] She married Henry Sparks, son of WHO and WHO, 10 Jul 1676 in Chelmsford, MA. He was born 1646 in Exeter, NH and died 16 Jul 1694 in WHERE. Children: Frances Sparkes, Abigail Sparks, Henry Sparks and Deliverance Sparks.
  • Mary Barrett was born 17 Apr 1658 in Braintree, MA and died 24 Jul 1692 in Chelmsford, MA. She married George Robbins, son of WHO and WHO, abt. 24 Jan 1686 in Chelmsford, MA. Child : Thomas Robbins.
  • Margaret Barrett was born 31 Mar 1660 in Chelmsford, MA and died there 25 May 1748. She married Edward Spaulding, son of WHO and WHO, 22 Sep 1681 in Chelmsford, MA.
  • Moses Barrett [see Generation 7]
  • Mehitable Barrett was born 12 Apr 1665 in Chelmsford, MA and died there 3 Oct 1733. She married Samuel Goole (now spelled Gould), son of WHO and WHO, abt. 17 Mar 1684 in Chelmsford, MA.
  • Anna Barrett was born 7 Dec 1668 in Chelmsford, MA and died there 10 May 1735. She married John Swallow, son of WHO and WHO, abt. 3 Jan 1692.
Extracts from a deed dated 10 Dec 1700, and recorded in Middlesex Registry of Deeds, Vol Xii, Fol. 635: Thomas Barrett, for and in consideration of the natural love and affection which I bear unto my beloved son John Swallow, conveys to said John Swallow all his real and personal property, with the exception of one cow and one mare, which are to be kept by said Swallow for the use of me and of Mary, my now married wife, for the rest of our natural lives.
~ Generation 7 ~

Moses Barrett, son of Thomas Barrett and Frances Woolderson, was born 25 Mar 1662 in Braintree, MA and died there 28 Nov 1743. He married Hannah/Anna Smith, daughter of John Smith and Miriam Deane, 10 Sep 1684 in Chelmsford, MA. She was born abt. 1664 in Dorcester, England and died 6 Apr 1745 in Chelmsford, MA. Their children:
  • Moses Barrett [see Generation 6]
  • Thomas Barrett was born 9 Mar 1689 in Chelmsford, MA and died there 9 Jul 1761. He married Rachel Burge, daughter of John Burge and Tryall Thayer, 20 May 1714 in Chelmsford. She was born 21 May 1692 in Chelmsford, MA and died there 29 Apr 1785. Children: James Barrett, Moses Barrett, Jonas Barrett, Rachel Barrett, Zacheus Barrett, Amos Barrett and Hannah Barrett.
~ Generation 6 ~
 
Moses Barrett, son of Moses Barrett and Hannah Smith, was born 25 Oct 1685 in Chelmsford, MA and died Jan 1760 in Woodstock, CT. He married :(1) Sarah WHO, daughter of WHO and WHO, bef. 1707 in Chelmsford, MA. She was born abt. 1687 in Chelmsford, MA and died bef. 15 Mar 1720 in WHERE; and (2) Abigail Trott, daughter of WHO and WHO, 15 Jun 1720 in Killingly, CT. She was born WHEN in WHERE and died bef. 17 Apr 1750 in WHERE; and (3) Abigail Harman, daughter of WHO and WHO, 17 Apr 1750 in Woodstock. She was born WHEN in WHERE and died WHEN in WHERE. Children of Moses and Sarah:
  • John Barrett [see Generation 5]
  • David Barrett was born 18 Feb 1710 in Chelmsford, MA and died abt. 1793 in Thompson, CT. He married Abigail Spalding, daughter of Samuel Spalding and WHO, WHEN in WHERE. She was born 7 May 1711 in Plainfield and died abt. 1794 in WHERE. Child: David Barrett
  • Hannah Barrett was born 2 Dec 1712 in Chelmsford, MA and died WHEN in WHERE. She married Zachariah Cutler, son of WHO and WHO, 2 Feb 1736 in Thompson, CT.
  • Oliver Barrett was born 2 Nov 1713 in Chelmsford, MA and died 6 Jul 1781 in Woodstock, CT. He married Elizabeth Carleton. Child: John Barrett.
  • Smith Barrett was born 2 Jan 1716 in Chelmsford, MA and died 11 Jun 1786 in WHERE. He married Mary Spalding, daughter of Samuel Spalding and WHO, 21 Apr 1738 in WHERE. She was born 15 Sep 1717 in Plainfield, CT and died 13 Nov 1800 in WHERE. Children: Samuel Barrett, Hannah Barrett, Daniel Barrett, Priscilla Barrett, Thomas Barrett, Ephraim Barrett, Martha Barrett, Priscilla Barrett (2), Thomas Barrett (2), Ephraim Barrett (2) and Mary Barrett.
  • Benoni Barrett was born 17 Aug 1719 in Woodstock, CT and died WHEN in WHERE. He married Elizabeth Phelps.
  • Moses Barrett was born 17 Aug 1719 in Woodstock, CT and died 3 Mar 1762 in WHERE. He married Abigail Harman, daughter of WHO and WHO, 23 Mar 1748 in Union, CT. She was born 17 Aug 1718 in WHERE and died WHEN in WHERE. Children: Stephen Barrett, Martha Barrett, Damaris Barrett, Daniel Barrett and Moses Barrett.
~ Generation 5 ~
 
John Barrett, son of Moses Barrett and Sarah WHO, was born abt. 1707 in Chelmsford, MA and died 26 Nov 1763 in Boston, MA. He married Dorothy Greene Lynde, daughter of John Lynde and Elizabeth Greene, 8 Jul 1713 in Malden, MA. She was born there 20 Dec 1692 and died 20 Dec 1740 in Killingly, MA. Their children:
  • Jonathan Barrett [see Generation 4]
  • John Barrett was born 13 Apr 1728 in Malden, MA and died 9 Jun 1756 in Killingly, MA. He married Lucy Hosmer, daughter of WHO and WHO, abt. 24 Jan 1750 in WHERE. She was born 16 Jul 1728 in Killingly, CT and died 14 Apr 1817 in WHERE.
  • Abigail Barrett was born 6 Oct 1733 in Killingly, MA and died WHEN in WHERE. She married Benjamin Joslin, son of WHO and WHO, 4 Jan 1753 in Killingly, CT. He was born 31 Jul 1728 in Killingly, CT and died there WHEN.
~ Generation 4 ~
 
Jonathan Barrett, son of John Barrett and Dorothy Greene Lynde, was born 8 Dec 1722 in Killingly, CT and died Jun 1802. He married Sarah Hascall, daughter of Squire Hascall and Elizabeth WHO. She was born 18 Jun 1733 in Killingly, CT and died there 17 Mar 1767. Their children:
  • Amos Barrett was born 4 May 1751 in Killingly, CT and died 28 Nov 1831 in Hindsdale, MA. He married Olive Hurd, daughter of WHO and WHO, 7 Dec 1780 in Voluntown, CT. She was born there abt. 1751 and died 2 May 1837 in Hindsdale, MA. Child: Arna Barrett.
  • Anna Barrett was born 10 Feb 1753 in Killingly, CT and died two days later on 12 Feb 1753.
  • Eunice Barrett was born 27 Mar 1754 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Sarah Barrett was born 5 Nov 1755 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Esther Barrett was born 5 Mar 1758 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Jonathan Barrett was born 29 Mar 1760 in Killingly, CT and died 13 May 1839 in Hamilton, OH. He married Rachel Brace.
  • Jacob F. Barrett [see Generation 3]
  • Nathan Barrett was born 2 May 1766 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Ruth Barrett was born 2 May 1766 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Joseph Barrett was born 19 May 1772 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Samuel Barrett was born 19 Jun 1775 in Killingly, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.  
~ Generation 3 ~

Jacob F. Barrett
Jacob F. Barrett, son of Jonathan Barrett and Sarah Hascall, was born 8 Apr 1764 in Killingly, CT and died 16 Oct 1846 in Fenner, NY. He married Jane Stranahan, daughter of James Stranahan and Martha Corey, abt. 1787 in WHERE. She was born 25 Dec 1766 in Coventry, RI and died 9 Mar 1811 in Killingly, CT. Their children:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • James Barrett was born abt. 1789 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Henry Barrett [see Generation 2]
  • William P. Barrett was born abt. 1794 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Jacob Barrett was born abt. 1796 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Anthony Barrett was born 21 Sep 1800 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE. He married Sarah Ann Wilcoxen.
  • Haskell Barrett was born abt. 1802 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
  • Baldwin Barrett was born abt. 1805 in Plainfield, CT and died WHEN in WHERE.
~ Generation 2 ~
 
Henry Barrett
Henry Barrett, son of Jacob F. Barrett and Jane Stranahan, was born abt. 1791 in Plainfield, CT and died bef. 1840 in Simsbury, CT. He married Sophia Fenton, daughter of WHO and WHO, WHEN in WHERE. She was born abt. 1800 in Wapping (now S. Windsor), CT and died 24 Jun 1874 in Simsbury, CT. Their children:



  • Eliza Ann Barrett [see Generation 1]
  • William Henry Barrett was born bet. 1817-1819 in CT and died 7 Mar 1870. He married Catherine Dewey, daughter of Timothy Dewey and Clarissa Sacket, 8 Apr 1844 in Tariffville, CT. She was born abt. 1822 in Westfield, MA and died aft. 1880 in Amherst, MA. Child: Clara B. Barrett.
  • Asenath S. Barrett was born abt. 1819 in CT and died bet. 1870-1892 in NY. She married David H. Finn, son of WHO and WHO, 3 Jun 1838 in Turkey Hills (E. Granby), CT. He was born abt. 1812 in NY and died aft. 1870 in NY. Children: Harriett “Hattie” Finn, Charles Finn and William Finn.
~ Generation 1 ~

Eliza Barrett
Eliza Ann Barrett, daughter of Henry Barrett and Sophia Fenton, was born 14 Nov 1815 in Thompsonville, CT and died 15 Apr 1891 in Andover, CT. She married: (1) Robert Holmes Jr., son of Robert Holmes and Delilah Holmes, 29 Mar 1839 in Simsbury, CT. He was born 4 Apr 1815 in Killygordon, Donegal, Ireland and died 13 Feb 1858 in E. Granby, CT [Ref. http://holmesgenealogy.blogspot.com]; and (2) Alexander Pattison, son of Joseph Pattison and Mary Brown, aft. Feb 1858 in (likely) Granby. He was born 1829 in Pharis, Loughguile, Antrim, Ireland and died 23 Jan 1897 in Andover, CT. Children of Robert and Eliza: David H. Holmes, Ellen Eliza Holmes, Charles Robert Holmes and Cyrus E. Holmes.



Sophia Fenton

Halesworth, Suffolk, England

Halesworth, the birthplace of Geoffrey Barrett, is located in the Blything district of Suffolk, England. The town stands on the river Blythe, adjacent to the East Suffolk railway, 9 miles SSW of Beccles.

The town was founded during the Middle Saxon period (650 AD-850 AD), and was probably situated on the side of a ridge close to the Town River. The only evidence that is left of early Halesworth is a row of large post-holes, and a few shards of pottery which suggests trading links with the large industrial and mercantile settlement of Ipswich. It is now thought likely that ‘Ipswich Ware’ pottery did not find its way to North Suffolk until after about 720 AD. Perhaps Halesworth was also a dependent settlement of the Royal Estate at Blythburgh.

By the 11th century the settlement moved to the top of the ridge east of the church. It’s possible that ‘Halesuworda’ had become a strategic crossing place where the Town River and its marshy flood plain, were narrow enough to be crossed by a wooden causeway. Perhaps Halesworth was also a tax centre for the payment of geld, as well as a collecting point for produce from the surrounding countryside with craft goods, agricultural produce and food rents moving up and down the river between Halesworth, Blythburgh and the coastal port of Dunwich.

For a Halesworth Timeline and more, go to http://halesworth.net/ and click on “History”. An excellent report on the Economic & Social History of Halesworth (720 AD – 1902 AD) was written by Michael Fordham. You can read the report in entirety at http://www.halesworth.ws/museum/Economic%20&%20Social%20History%20of%20Halesworth.pdf.

Blythburgh, Suffolk, England

Blythburgh, the birthplace of John Barrett, is a small village in northeast Suffolk, just under 100 miles from London and four miles from the North Sea at Southwold. It’s set in a landscape of natural beauty with tidal river, marsh, heath, small woods, pasture and arable fields. The inhabitants are either clustered close to the main road and church, or live in scattered cottages and farmhouses in the fields.

The surrounding landscape is rich in archaeological sites dating from Neolithic to Roman times. Blythburgh itself is an Anglo-Saxon foundation. Christianity came to Suffolk early in the 17th century and Blythburgh was one of its most important centers. It may have been the location of the Anglian Episcopal seat generally assumed to be at Dunwich. By 654 Blythburgh had a church to which, according to tradition, the bodies of the Anglian King Anna and his son Jurmin were brought after they fell at Bulcamp in battle with the Mercian Penda. The church could have been one of King Ælfwald's Minsters (he died in 749). The finding of an 18th century writing tablet in Blythburgh suggests a literate Christian presence at that time. Blythburgh was for centuries the local centre of authority -- major criminals were punished there and, for all the commercial importance of Dunwich, its merchants had to go to Blythburgh to change money.

At the time of the Norman Conquest in 1066 Blythburgh was part of the royal estate. It was one of Suffolk's 12 market towns, and its church was especially rich, worth ten times the average for Suffolk, one of the richest counties in England. There were two unendowed daughter churches.

Around 1120 Henry I granted Blythburgh church to the Augustinian canons of St Osyth's Priory in Essex. This was presumably the rich Minster church and not one of its unendowed dependents. The present parish church probably descended from one of these. There were canons at Blythburgh by 1147. The priory was never very large but by the end of the 14th century it owned land or rents in about 40 Suffolk parishes. In 1407, when the priory was in decline, there were 7 resident brothers, including the prior. Before 1350 the number could have been in double figures.

12th ~ 14th Centuries

Blythburgh, located within a rich agricultural area and on an important road at the lowest crossing on the river Blyth, no doubt continued to prosper through the 12th and 13th centuries into the beginning of the 14th. Whether Blythburgh was ever a significant port is doubtful. It is easy to confuse such activity at nearby Walberswick (in the same manor and closer to the sea) with Blythburgh itself. Even Walberswick had to reach agreement with its powerful neighbour Dunwich, in its heyday in command of the mouth of the river, before it could fish and trade with its own ships. In any case sea-going vessels of any size would probably have been unsuited to the narrow twisting channel leading upstream to Blythburgh.

Nevertheless, in 1327 the community was the 21st richest in Suffolk, ranked below Beccles and Dunwich locally, but above Lowestoft, Southwold, and Halesworth. The Black Death, which reached East Anglia in 1349, was a turning point. The impact of the loss of population and the social and economic disruption that followed can be seen in the tax returns of 1449. Blythburgh, like many other Suffolk communities (but not Walberswick) was granted tax relief because it was less populous and prosperous than it had been more than 100 years earlier. Perhaps Blythburgh suffered more than its neighbour because it was a thoroughfare town enjoying an income from passing travellers. Decay is also evident from the accounts of the Lord of the Manor, John Hopton, who succeeded in 1430 and died in 1478. Living at what is now Westwood Lodge, he had a flock of 700 sheep, took 1000 rabbits annually from his warren, and fattened bullocks. But of his annual income of about £300, only £40 came from his Suffolk estate and his tolls from the local market had dwindled to almost nothing. By 1490 there was only one stall.

Paradoxically, in this period of apparently straightened circumstances, Blythburgh church was rebuilt. The prior obtained a licence to rebuild in 1412 and by 1480 the project was complete. The great new church, which retained an existing fourteenth-century tower, does not reflect either a large or especially rich community. It is not a 'wool' church - John Hopton's flock was not particularly large and east Suffolk played only a minor role in cloth production - if anything, apart from fishing, it was butter and cheese country. Clearly, there was money around, although the slow pace of building meant that spending could be spread over many years. We don't know how much John Hopton contributed but his was Yorkshire rather than Suffolk money. The church's size, its extensive stained glass (now almost all gone) and its furnishings, reflected less the wealth of the community as a whole than the deliberately conspicuous expenditure of individuals who wished to be remembered after their deaths. They relied upon the prayers of the living to speed their souls through purgatory to salvation: their spending was, as one writer has put it, a form of post-mortem fire insurance.
Superstitions

During a great storm in 1577 which brought down the church steeple, a black dog was said to have ran through the church killing two parishioners. The devil was blamed for the storm and the scorchmarks he made when he left are still visible on the church door today.

Tobys Walks in Blythburgh, so called for being the haunting ground for Tobias Gill, a member of the Suffolk Regiment who was hanged in 1750 for murdering a local servant girl on the common. Many locals believe he was innocent and his restless spirit is said to still roam the heathland around Blythburgh.